Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Days 13-15 Now that's what I call a glacier!

Dear All,
Please read this from the bottom up.....too much Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon
This covers the period from leaving Punta Arenas, staying at Puerto Natales
and going back into Argentina from Chile and 2 days in El Calafate


19 Another view....stunning



18 Well Mikey, what do you mean I can't be like David Attenborough....look at these two photos


17



16 Not so beautiful




15 Beautiful



14 Viewed along the front edge


13 Back on land walking towards the glacier


12 Approaching glacier by boat

11 Approaching glacier by boat


10 In National Park first glimpse of glacier in the background


9 On route to park and glacier


8 Reception to the hostel


7 My room for 2 nights


6 My "lodge".....bit like Butlins without
the sex. Comfortable, clean, and 20 quid a night with breakfast


5 On bus between Puerto Natales and El Calafate



4 Typical street scene in Puerto Natales



3 Puerto Natales















2 Look what I found!





1 On route from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales

As I said in previous post, Punta Arenas wasn't that interesting, so left after 2 nights and got on a bus for a 3.5 hr journey to Puerto Natales. As you can see from the photos not, the most interesting of places. Stayed in a really cheap hostel. A bit of a scruffy town, natives not that friendly. Reminded me a bit of East Cowes. So, took a 5 hr bus ride back through the Argentine border to El Calafate. Bit touristy but friendly people, especially at the hostel.And set in some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen. I booked a day out to Los Glaciares National Park, in particular to see Perito Moreno Glacier. 10 of us on the bus; nice and comfortable...5 Spanish, 4 Dutch and yours truly. Have the British stopped travelling? I don't think Al Quieda operate down here. Anyway saw my first condor hovering over the park....glorious site. By the time I got the camera out, it had gone, of course. In El Calafate tomorrow until afternoon, then getting evening flight to Bariloche on The Argentine Lakes....heard good reports. Time is getting a bit tight. Got to be in Santiago on 3rd Nov to get flight to Auckland.











No comments:

Post a Comment