Saturday, October 24, 2009

Days 8-11 (Part 1 Going around The Cape))


The boat


My room for 3 nights

Leaving Ushuaia


Steps up to Cape Horn when leaving the RIB




Yours truly with usual daft grin



Church supposed to be open , but wasn't
A Chilean naval officer and his family live in the light house and maintain and presumably worship in the church




Me by the Albatros....a monument to the seamen who have died off the Cape (approx 10,000)





Going back to the boat



And again




The next three photos are out of order
A monument to somebody....(couldn't translate it)


View looking East from the Cape




Rachel and Liz

I was trying to find a way to get to Cape Horn and possibly Antarctica. There were no boats going to either place except for a cruise ship going the next day to Punto Arenas in Chile via the Cape. Went to the tourist office and got a last minute deal, thought f*ck it, it's my only chance, so paid the $*** and spent the wednesday morning chilling out in Ushuaia before boarding the boat in the afternoon. Very nice boat, after a champagne reception with the captain, went downstairs, sorry, below; to find out where I would be sitting for dinner. Told the steward I was English , so sat me on table 10. There were loads of American tourists on board, and I was dreading sitting at one of their tables.I'm sure some of them thought they were at the North Pole. When I sat down a steward announced to cheers to each nationality.....American 40, Canadian 25,Spanish 10, French 10.....Slovakian2, German 2, Swiss 2, Austrian 2, Australian 2, UK ..............1, lil ol' me
20 nationalities, 1 Brit. What happened to the exploring British spirit? I blame Gordon Brown.
Anyway I was at the best table.....3 couples, each from Germany, Switzerland and Austria and a couple of girls from Australia, Liz and Rachel (from Canberra) by far the youngest people on the boat....must have thought it was a gereatrics outing. It takes ages to download photos, so part 2 tomorrow and time to get something to eat (8.15 pm 24th Oct)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're making friends as usual. Was the Cape everything you hoped it would be? Did you feel like you were at the end of the world? It was weird not hearing from you for 4 days. I'm hoping glaciers and penguins feature in your next post. Love you. X

    ReplyDelete